Powered By Blogger

From phone call to great road trip adventure!

I started blogging a few years ago when I made the cross country trip from Los Angeles, California to Wake Forest, North Carolina. Blogging turned out to be a fun experience, so now I continue to blog about all of my travels. I try to make it interesting for everyone and hope that people can travel with me through my blogging. To learn why I started blogging in the first place, just continue reading and the next paragraph will explain how it all got started. So sit back, read the post, view the pictures and travel with me via my blog.



One of my dreams ever since I can remember was to take a cross country road trip to see America. Never in a million years did I think I would realize this dream. My dream was set in motion when I answered the telephone and my son Chris (who lived in Los Angeles at the time) called to tell me he had accepted a job in New York City. He went on to say he would not be taking his car with him to New York but would be driving his car from California back to North Carolina. Light bulbs went off in my brain at that point, so I told him I would fly to Los Angeles and ride with him back to North Carolina. Thus my great road trip adventure came to be. But this is only the beginning as it hasn't started yet. We are in the planning stages of where we are going to stop along the way and what we want to see. We only have 10 days to go from west to east and so the planning begins. I hope you will follow me as I blog my way across America. I'm new at blogging so please be patient. I hope to blog daily and post pictures along the way. Thanks to Chris for making it happen and to Julie for telling me to "go for it" and to seize this "once in a lifetime opportunity". I'm glad I did!















Saturday, April 16, 2011

New York City - Day 1

Finally arrived in New York at 11:30am and first item on the agenda was flagging down a cab which as you can see was not a problem for me. It has been steadily raining since we arrived here and the temps have dropped and the wind has picked up turning everyone's umbrella inside out.  From Chris' apartment we walked 6 blocks to the Theodore Roosevelt Birthplace National Historic Site.  New York blocks are equivalent to a "country mile" as I found out.  I kept wondering when we were going to get there. It seemed like it was taking forever so I'm convinced those 6 blocks were more like 20 blocks.




 Here is a photo of me, Julie and Teddy Roosevelt taken in front of the brownstone where he grew up.  Chris and Wade also had their picture taken with him as well.  What a thrill it was to have our picture taken
with a former president.  Well at least it was for me. This was well worth the visit and best of all it was free.  Since it is a national historic landmark I added another cancellation stamp to my Passport to the Natl Parks booklet.  After leaving TRs birthplace,, walking back to the apartment, we stopped and ate at Dallas BBQ.  This is where the weirdness started.  While we were eating a man came into the restaurant walked over to the table next to ours and was just staring at the table with leftover food. In a few minutes he  
grabbed the tip from the table and left in a hurry. The other weird thing is at this restaurant you have to pay for refills on drink orders.  Can you believe that!  I'm talking full price for refills for tea and or sodas. Well that's about it for today. I'm back at the apartment blogging while the rest went to the store to get a few grocery items.  My knee made it through the first day without incident,  Tomorrow we are heading for Times Square for sightseeing and shopping.  Everyone have a good evening.  Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite.  In New York that is no joke!

No comments:

Post a Comment